Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Meditations on Crying

Well, I am starting my third week of school -- Oops, I mean daycare (Let's call it what it is) -- and I've made an important observation:

Babies cry -- A LOT!

Now I'm not saying that I don't pull out the tears every once in awhile. A well-timed sniffle can work wonders. But some babies take this to an extreme.

Take Issac. Issac is the bald baby with the big eyebrows in my class. He cries all the time. At first I thought it was because he was too young to understand, but he's actually older than me. Could have fooled me. I tower over -- or maybe I'm overly big. Anyhoo, he's always screaming for the teachers, and he has a really high-pitched wail. Sometimes for good measure he'll flap his arms too. Francis -- he's the baby with the blonde mohawk who's learning to crawl -- Francis says it's to get attention. He says if we don't cry, no one will pay any attention to us. to prove it, he let out a big wail, and Ms. Mary came running over right away. Of course, the teachers usually ignore Isaac, but maybe that's 'cause he cries all the time. Overkill, if you know what I mean -- like raising the terror alert level from yellow to orange every two weeks. Before you know it, no one pays attention anymore.

I suppose I think differently. I hardly ever cry. Don't get me wrong. I can wail with the best of them. But I usually reserve cries for when I really mean business -- like when I'm starving or really, really tired. So if I'm hungry, I usually just chew on my fists, or Momma's fingers, or Daddy's shirt -- whatever's handy. They usually get the idea. And then if they don't do anything, that's when I cry. But it usually doesn't get to that.

I think that because I cry so little, Momma and Daddy are even more attentive to me. Sometimes all it takes is a little grunt or a few tears, and Momma's hovering over me asking, "What's wrong little guy?" The tears especially work beautifully. And my teachers like me too. They always brag to Momma that I'm a good boy.

So, you see, same effect with less effort.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home